WhatsApp to Move Ahead with its Privacy Updates

Hi all,
Apologies if I go a bit off track here as i just recently joined this conversation, but i wanted to share a personal experience i’m still puzzling over,

A couple of weeks ago, i suddenly lost all my contact information (names of contacts i’d been communicating with for years were no longer showing up when receiving calls, and i couldn’t find contacts when doing a search. But what its most strange is that at exactly the same time, I started getting notifications from WhatsApp with guidelines for retrieving lost contacts.

Does this mean i signed on to something i wasn’t even aware of? And if so, why would they mess up with saved information for contacts that aren’t even on my WhatApp lists? This is really frightening to me as a lay person. Any explanations?

Thanks,

Wangu

> On 24 Feb 2021, at 20:18, Keith Andere via kictanet <kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>
> Dear Mwara,
>
> These are pertinent questions you have raised here, and the discussion is really interesting.
>
> On question one, I think Facebook is not your ordinary platform to compare with other platforms such as bibles and picture filtering apps. I therefore care much more about the privacy of my data because it’s a piece to a bigger global puzzle. For me whatsapp is a platform where many aspects of my life connects, my family, chama, landlord alerts, Mpesa is now sending statements to whatsapp. I would not want to imagine that I would want any of this used for business purposes, especially when right to opt out is denied.
>
> I think this is also an opportunity to scale homegrown solutions and platforms because soon enough when we all move to platform B, they would pull the same strings on us! Seems we must buy our own lunch! I am still hanging on to the old terms waiting to be axed 🙂
>
> Ni hayo tu kwa sasa!
> Keith
>
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 7:39 AM Mwara Gichanga via kictanet <kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke <mailto:kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke>> wrote:
> Dear listers,
>
> Thanks to those who managed to contribute to the discussions yesterday. We are still collating our questions to Facebook regarding this subject. Today let’s talk about what’s at stake with the new terms. To guide our discussions, let’s ponder over these questions:
>
> 1. We already have applications that mine our instant generated data from our mobile phones(eg bible apps, mobile lending apps, games etc). What’s different with Whatsapp getting this data?
>
> 2. Is there anyone who has accepted these terms already? What’s your experience so far?
>
> Lets continue the conversation!
>
> Warmly
> Mwara
> _______________________________________________
> kictanet mailing list
> kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke <mailto:kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke>
> lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/kictanet <lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/kictanet>
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/kictanet
> Facebook: www.facebook.com/KICTANet/ <www.facebook.com/KICTANet/>
>
> Unsubscribe or change your options at lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/kephand%40gmail.com <lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/kephand%40gmail.com>
>
> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.
>
> KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors online that you follow in real life: respect people’s times and bandwidth, share knowledge, don’t flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.
>
>
> —
> Kind Regards,
>
> Keith Andere
> Director, Systems Development
> Intact Computer Systems
> P. O. Box 2536 – 00621 Nairobi
> Cell: +254 722 565 212
> www.intactsystems.co.ke <www.intactsystems.co.ke/>
>
> Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
> _______________________________________________
> kictanet mailing list
> kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke <mailto:kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke>
> lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/kictanet <lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/kictanet>
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/kictanet
> Facebook: www.facebook.com/KICTANet/ <www.facebook.com/KICTANet/>
>
> Unsubscribe or change your options at lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/wmwangiconsult%40gmail.com
>
> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.
>
> KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors online that you follow in real life: respect people’s times and bandwidth, share knowledge, don’t flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.

_______________________________________________
kictanet mailing list

KICTANet Admin information

Related Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.