U.S. FTA Agreement

California law does not apply to all states. Also have a look at the
article I shared

Data Transfers and the Kenya-US Trade Talks
www.laibuta.com/data-protection/data-transfers-and-the-kenya-us-trade-talks/

Kind regards,

Mugambi Laibuta

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 08:46 Ali Hussein <ali@hussein.me.ke> wrote:

> Mugambi
>
> I find it hard to believe that the U.S. has no Data Protection laws.
> Please expound on this. I know for instance that California has a
> comprehensive Privacy Act. Here is a link to that.
>
> California Data Privacy Law.
> <www.csoonline.com/article/3292578/california-consumer-privacy-act-what-you-need-to-know-to-be-compliant.html>
>
> I guess you are referring to Federal law?
>
> Regards
>
> *Ali Hussein*
>
> Digital Transformation
>
>
> Tel: +254 713 601113
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>
> Skype: abu-jomo
>
> LinkedIn: ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
> <ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>
>
>
>
> Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
> mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
> organizations that I work with.
>
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 8:32 AM Mugambi Laibuta via kictanet <
> kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>
>> In a nutshell, with the agreement, there is bound to be challenges in
>> relation to data transfers. The Data Protection Act provides that transfers
>> should be to countries that have data laws similar to ours. The US does not
>> have concrete data protection laws. Will we use the trade agreement to with
>> away our data to a country that has no data protection laws?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Mugambi Laibuta
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 08:29 Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> @Mugambi Laibuta <mlaibuta@gmail.com>
>>>
>>> Please give us some of the highlights…for the quick reader.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>>
>>> ———————————————————————————-
>>>
>>> *Grace Githaiga*
>>>
>>> Twitter: @ggithaiga
>>>
>>> Skype: gracegithaiga
>>>
>>> Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/gracegithaiga
>>>
>>>
>>> .*..**the most important office in a democracy is the citizen. So, you
>>> see, that’s what our democracy demands. It needs you!—-Barrack Obama.*
>>>
>>> ——————————
>>> *From:* kictanet >>> hotmail.com@lists.kictanet.or.ke> on behalf of Mugambi Laibuta via
>>> kictanet <kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke>
>>> *Sent:* 02 September 2020 8:23 AM
>>> *To:* ggithaiga@hotmail.com <ggithaiga@hotmail.com>
>>> *Cc:* Mugambi Laibuta <mlaibuta@gmail.com>
>>> *Subject:* Re: [kictanet] U.S. FTA Agreement
>>>
>>> I wrote on the aspect of data transfers –
>>>
>>> Data Transfers and the Kenya-US Trade Talks:
>>>
>>>
>>> www.laibuta.com/data-protection/data-transfers-and-the-kenya-us-trade-talks/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Mugambi Laibuta
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 08:20 Ali Hussein via kictanet <
>>> kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Listers. The above refers.
>>>
>>> So the Kenya government has been negotiating a Free Trade Agreement with
>>> the U.S. Government. below is the high-level Vision for the #FTA
>>> <www.linkedin.com/feed/hashtag/?keywords=fta&highlightedUpdateUrns=urn%3Ali%3Aactivity%3A6706564288401686528>
>>> :-
>>>
>>> *To conclude an agreement with Kenya that can serve as a model for
>>> additional agreements in Africa, leading to a network of agreements that
>>> contribute to Africa’s regional integration objectives. In addition, the
>>> goal is to conclude an agreement that builds on the objectives of #AGOA
>>> <www.linkedin.com/feed/hashtag/?keywords=agoa&highlightedUpdateUrns=urn%3Ali%3Aactivity%3A6706564288401686528> and
>>> will serve as an enduring foundation to expand U.S -Africa trade and
>>> investment across the continent.*
>>>
>>> Kenya Private Sector Alliance (KEPSA)
>>> <www.linkedin.com/company/kenya-private-sector-alliance-kepsa/> in
>>> its wisdom chose a number of companies to be in the consortium of the
>>> US-Kenya FTA negotiations/conversations.
>>>
>>> Now…Is it just me or don’t I understand International Trade? Someone,
>>> please explain to me why in that group of companies you have 9 American
>>> companies on the list? Including IBM
>>> <www.linkedin.com/company/ibm/>, The Coca-Cola Company
>>> <www.linkedin.com/company/the-coca-cola-company/>, and Citi
>>> <www.linkedin.com/company/citi/>.
>>>
>>> This is like scoring an own goal before starting the game! Or am I
>>> wrong? Please explain to me the rationale?
>>>
>>> Join the conversation.
>>> <www.linkedin.com/posts/alihkassim_kepsa-consortium-on-the-us-kenya-fta-activity-6706564288401686528-4zlk>
>>>
>>> *Ali Hussein*
>>>
>>> Digital Transformation
>>>
>>>
>>> Tel: +254 713 601113
>>>
>>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>>
>>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>>
>>> LinkedIn: ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>>> <ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
>>> mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
>>> organizations that I work with.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> kictanet mailing list
>>> kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke
>>> lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/kictanet
>>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/kictanet
>>> Facebook: www.facebook.com/KICTANet/
>>>
>>> Unsubscribe or change your options at
>>> lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/mlaibuta%40gmail.com
>>>
>>> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
>>> for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
>>> regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
>>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.
>>>
>>> KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
>>> online that you follow in real life: respect people’s times and bandwidth,
>>> share knowledge, don’t flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
>>> not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>> kictanet mailing list
>> kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke
>> lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/kictanet
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/kictanet
>> Facebook: www.facebook.com/KICTANet/
>>
>> Unsubscribe or change your options at
>> lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/info%40alyhussein.com
>>
>> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
>> for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
>> regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.
>>
>> KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
>> online that you follow in real life: respect people’s times and bandwidth,
>> share knowledge, don’t flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
>> not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.
>>
>

_______________________________________________
kictanet mailing list

KICTANet Admin information

Related Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.