Today , ARTICLE 19 Eastern Africa (EA) has published its [ https://www.article19.org/freedom-of-expression-and-the-digital-environment-in-eastern-africa/ | Freedom of Expression and the Digital Environment in Eastern Africa 2020 ] report. This report examines the digital environment across six countries, namely Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
The report focuses on developments and challenges across three key areas, namely:
1. Freedom of expression online: Can words land you behind bars?
2. Internet accessibility and affordability: Are governments across Eastern Africa pulling their own weight to narrow the digital divide?
3. Privacy and data protection: Is the publicâ€™s personal data safe across Eastern Africa?
The report proposes that, at a minimum, the six Eastern African countries should:
* repeal and amend laws and policies which criminalise freedom of expression online
* regularly publish comprehensive annual reports on universal access/service funding mechanisms
* refrain from adopting and using Covid-19 contact tracing applications without appropriate human rights safeguards, including sunset clauses to strengthen privacy and data protection.
Please interact with, and share, the [ https://www.article19.org/freedom-of-expression-and-the-digital-environment-in-eastern-africa/ | launch page ] , [ https://www.article19.org/resources/threats-to-free-speech-online-in-eastern-africa/ | press release ] and [ https://twitter.com/article19eafric | social media ] content.
I am happy to provide more information and address any of your queries.
Sigi Waigumo Mwanzia,
Digital Policy Consultant.
Read more about ARTICLE 19’s #MissingVoices campaign here: [ https://www.article19.org/campaigns/missingvoices/ | https://www.article19.org/campaigns/missingvoices/ ]
ARTICLE 19 EASTERN AFRICA
DEFENDING FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION AND INFORMATION
W [ https://www.article19.org/regional-office/eastern-africa/ | https://www.article19.org/regional-office/eastern-africa/ ]
Fa [ http://facebook.com/article19org | facebook.com/article19org ]
kictanet mailing list