Google has revoked Huawei’s Android license

For decades, U.S. intelligence agencies have capitalized on the central
role of U.S. companies in global telecommunications networks to spy on
adversaries and gather crucial intelligence.

That ability to spy on rivals is threatened by Huawei, especially on the 5G
front where Huawei leads the pack with the most patents.

U.S. espionage activities documented by National Security Agency
whistleblower Edward Snowden have created a fundamental attitude of
distrust in the telecommunications industry. The Snowden disclosures
exposed how American companies were forced to cooperate with U.S.
intelligence activities.

Many experts say security fears singling out Huawei equipment are
overblown, as nearly all the big telecom equipment makers use Chinese
factories to churn out their components.

foreignpolicy.com/2019/04/03/the-improbable-rise-of-huawei-5g-global-network-china/

On Wed, May 22, 2019, 06:39 Ali Hussein via kictanet <
kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:

> Kelvin and all
>
> Never again will we view Multi-Nationals in the same light. Before BigTech
> Multinationals used to talk about ‘dominance’ and monopoly in different
> terms. These were usually handed over by governments on a silver platter.
> Today’s Monopoly players are different. A combination of sheer technology
> prowess and #StateCapture has brought about a dangerous trend. Let’s look
> at the Telco Wars.
>
> 1. Google and Apple basically (American companies) have carved up the Mobile
> OS market <gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide>
> between them. They control a whopping 97% of the Global Mobile handset OS
> install base. And the balance is based on an ‘Open Source’ version of
> Android.
>
> 2. Huawei
> <foreignpolicy.com/2019/04/03/the-improbable-rise-of-huawei-5g-global-network-china/>has
> carved up the Telco Network Operating Systems worldwide to the extent of
> making the other players look like kindergarten operators.
>
> 3. The problem with this dominance is that it requires Regulators the
> world over to speak with one voice. Do you see that happening? I doubt it.
> Especially with all the Nationalism raising its ugly head worldwide.
>
> 4. Who will stop these Global Players running roughshod over everyone
> else? Does the UN or the EU or AU have the muscle and financial strength to
> reign rogue players in the global arena? Your guess is as good as mine.
>
>
> *Ali Hussein*
>
> *Principal*
>
> *AHK & Associates*
>
>
>
> Tel: +254 713 601113
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>
> Skype: abu-jomo
>
> LinkedIn: ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
> <ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>
>
> 13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,
>
> Chiromo Road, Westlands,
>
> Nairobi, Kenya.
>
> Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
> mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
> organizations that I work with.
>
>
> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 10:28 AM Kelvin Kariuki via kictanet <
> kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>
>> Dear Listers,
>> I hope this email finds you well, this is the current trending topic, I’d
>> like to here your views on this topic from a Policy Perspective.
>>
>> Are we overrelying on Global Techs? What are the possible repercussions
>> if they pull out on us? Should Global Techs be declared Dominant to balance
>> the market and reduce the risks of a failure? Feel free to add more
>> questions.
>>
>> Looking forward to your views on this.
>>
>> —
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Kelvin Kariuki
>> Assistant Lecturer
>> Multimedia University of Kenya
>> Faculty of Computing and Information Technology
>> Twitter Handle: @teacherkaris
>> Alt email: kkariuki@mmu.ac.ke
>> Mobile: +2547 29 385 557
>>
>> The Lord is my Shepherd
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> kictanet mailing list
>> kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke
>> lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/kictanet
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/kictanet
>> Facebook: www.facebook.com/KICTANet/
>>
>> Unsubscribe or change your options at
>> lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/info%40alyhussein.com
>>
>> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
>> for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
>> regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.
>>
>> KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
>> online that you follow in real life: respect people’s times and bandwidth,
>> share knowledge, don’t flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
>> not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.
>>
> _______________________________________________
> kictanet mailing list
> kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke
> lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/kictanet
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/kictanet
> Facebook: www.facebook.com/KICTANet/
>
> Unsubscribe or change your options at
> lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/kivuva%40transworldafrica.com
>
> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
> for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
> regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.
>
> KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
> online that you follow in real life: respect people’s times and bandwidth,
> share knowledge, don’t flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
> not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.
>

_______________________________________________
kictanet mailing list

KICTANet Admin information

Related Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.