Date and Time: Data Privacy Day: 7th February 2024
Background and Context:
Recent statements from the government, have highlighted the practice of recording and temporarily identifying individuals in accommodation establishments as set out under Section 48 of the Private Security Regulation Act, specifically in response to the urgent need to address and mitigate the ongoing femicide cases allegedly involving AirBnBs. This has sparked critical questions about finding the right balance between security, safeguarding the right to privacy, ensuring data protection, and refining the regulatory frameworks. The webinar will provide a platform to explore these issues, taking into consideration the broader implications on individual privacy and rights.
In light of Data Privacy Day 2024 under the theme ‘Take Control of Your Data’, the Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is pleased to host an insightful webinar on the critical issue of surveillance in accommodation establishments, following a statement by the Office of the President; Ministry of Interior and National Administration, on the power to record and temporarily identify individuals in accommodation, hospitality, and lodging establishments. Titled “Privacy Perspectives,” this webinar will explore the best privacy and data protection practices, and the implications of surveillance and identification practices within this context.
Objectives of the Webinar:
The primary objectives of this webinar are to:
- Examine the implications of surveillance and temporary identification in accommodation establishments.
- Analyze the operationalization of Section 48 of the Private Security Regulation Act and its impact on privacy and data protection.
- Foster dialogue among stakeholders to identify key policy actions and potential solutions for enhancing data protection in surveillance activities.
- Analyze the existing regulatory frameworks, and the recently issued statement and explore the best solutions for the ongoing femicide crisis.
By the end of the webinar, we anticipate:
- Enhanced understanding of the privacy and data protection implications in the context of surveillance in accommodation establishments.
- Insights into the regulatory framework and the recent statement in ensuring robust data protection.
- Recommendations for policy actions and best practices to balance security concerns with individual privacy rights.
- A better understanding of the challenges and opportunities surrounding privacy and data protection.
Format of the Event:
The webinar will be a one-hour session, structured as follows:
- Introduction (5 minutes): Overview of the webinar and its objectives.
- Expert Presentation (20 minutes): In-depth analysis of the regulatory framework, recent statements, and privacy implications.
- Panel Discussion (20 minutes): Conversations with industry experts, legal professionals, and stakeholders.
- Q&A and Open Discussions (10 minutes): Engagement with the audience on their queries and perspectives.
The webinar aims to bring together a diverse audience, including representatives from relevant government agencies, the private sector, legal professionals, academia, media, civil society, and other stakeholders interested in the topic.
- Cherie Oyier
- Dr. Mugambi Laibuta
- Grace Mutung’u
- Moderator: Linda Gichohi