It’s important to note that these are not the only content reviewers covering Africa. We already have reviewers covering the Continent and based in our other locations. So it is inaccurate to say that there are only 100 reviewers covering Africa. This is meant to be a further investment in the Continent, and to allow us to support even more communities and languages. We also anticipate that it, like every other centre, will grow.
Regarding mental health-excellent question.
* Our partners (Samasource in Nairobi) are required to provide a comprehensive program of additional benefits that includes health care support.
* We absolutely recognize this work can be difficult, and we take very seriously our responsibility to care for the people that do this job.
* We go to great lengths to look after our reviewers.
* Psychological support: Every person reviewing FB content is offered psychological support & a variety of wellness resources. This typically includes:
* Extensive training around wellness and stress – to focus on prevention
* 24/7 counselling with trained experts
* Breakout areas if you need to step away from your desk
* We also have a team of clinical psychologists who are tasked with designing, delivering and evaluating the resiliency programs we have in place for everyone who works with graphic and objectionable content.
* Training to ensure they are prepared: We have a comprehensive training program that includes at least 80 hours of instructor-led training, as well as hands-on practice for all of our reviewers; and on-going coaching sessions and learning huddles so they are prepared for this type of work
* Anyone that reviews content for Facebook — whether full-time employees, or those employed by our partner — has access to mental health and wellness resources, including trained professionals onsite for both individual and group counseling.
I’m happy to answer any questions from the group!
Listers, ICYMI.. Facebook will reportedly hire 100 content reviewers.. finally something concrete in recognition of reality; though certainly not be an optimal number imo because it’s still a 1:2Million moderator-to-user ratio, and the ideal target is ~1:1000 users meaning if they truly care about the societal impact, they need to hire at least 200,000 moderators to cover all of Africa to guarantee a clean and safe experience!
FB will have to eventually establish culture mapped moderation teams across (or for) different countries in Africa because each unit will only be as effective as its ability to detect cultural nuances, local slang and coded hate / mobilisation messages.
FB will also need to be upfront with potential hires that moderation is one of the dirtiest and most psychologically stressful jobs in ICT so hopefully FB will provide full mental health support and insurance for them, including post contract counselling cover over several years. They also need to boost the headcount very quickly so they can rotate them and minimise repeated exposure to visual trauma i.e. to mitigate the risk of PTSD.
Their next moves in the coming weeks/months will signal whether their primary motivator is greed (hence this is just a PR stunt) or socially responsible profits. My thoughts…
Patrick A. M. Maina
[Independent Public Policy Analyst – Indigenous Innovations]
kictanet mailing list
Unsubscribe or change your options at urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.kictanet.or.ke_mailman_options_kictanet_ebeleokobi-2540fb.com&d=DwICAg&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=ArvepG4_wcNu_X9xi3nb_Xa9WsGLVfmK6mwPdVONOTE&m=FO…
The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.
KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors online that you follow in real life: respect people’s times and bandwidth, share knowledge, don’t flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.
kictanet mailing list
Visited 125 Times, 1 Visit today